Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Thursday, February 10, 2011

My take on the Michael Young thing.


Two things. First of all, I know what I am. I am one of the biggest Rangers Apologists around. I'll sit on this stupid thing and rip the Cowboys until the sun rises, but as far as I'm concerned, the Rangers can do no wrong. The Texas 4 (Wash, JD, Nolan and Chuckie Moneybags) haven't done anything I disagreed with since about 2007.

Second thing. I may be burning bridges with the 3 people that read this blog, but I feel like what I'm about to say needs to be said.

Michael Young is being a prick.
And it's coming out of no where. The term "Face of the Franchise" has been used about 20 thousand times in the last week, and whether it's an appropriate term for Mike anymore (Josh Hamilton is undoubtedly more of a household name than Michael Young), it serves its purpose. He's been a Ranger for longer than anyone on the team. Just this past season he passed Pudge Rodriguez for the all-time Rangers hits lead. He's going to be crossing the 2000 hits plateau this upcoming season. He spent 8 seasons in Texas finishing no better than 3rd place in what was the worst division in the Majors for most of the Aughts. And now that they start winning for the first time in team history, he wants out.

Pretty much everything Mike has done or said in the past week has rubbed me the wrong way. First and foremost, I guess, the reason he wants out. He wants to play in the field, and with the Rangers acquisition of Adrian Beltre he will be getting a limited amount of diamond play in 2011. Take a look at your fielding percentage, Mike. .950 last year is the worst mark of his career, and he's always been more of an offensive-based player.

What makes a good team good is that you have to earn your spot. Why do you think the Pirates have "Ronny Cedeno" starting at SS? Because there's no one else to challenge him. It doesn't matter what sport you're in, you have to earn your spot. And it's all the harder on a good team. Chris Davis sucks, he doesn't play. Justin Smoak sucked, he got traded. Jorge Cantu sucked, Mitch Moreland got the job. Julio Borbon sucked, he enjoyed his stint as a pinch runner. Feldman sucked, he got kicked out of the rotation. Positions aren't given to anyone.

Next. Mike wants to have his cake and eat it too. If you want out so bad, why don't you expand the list of 8 teams you'd be willing to go to (many of which have already said they have no interest). The 16 million dollar contract you have (which was given to you as a kind of reward for your allegiance to the team and your knack for putting the Rangers first) isn't popular across the league.

One thing I really didn't like. Too often in sports players will say something to the effect of "I'm not going to bash anyone through the media, BUT..." and then proceed to bash someone through the media. On disclosing specific details of how he was so wronged:
"That would be unproductive for everybody, particularly my teammates and coaches...I know the truth and Jon Daniels knows the truth and I will sleep well."

Alright then. Go ahead and take a jab at the guy who got you a million dollars for every 10 games you play. Fine then. Just don't contradict yourself again.
The suggestion that I've had a change of heart and asked for a trade is a manipulation of the truth...I'll be the first to admit that I was not particularly keen on the idea of being a DH. But I did agree to do it. I wanted to put the team first. I wanted to be a Ranger. But in light of events that happened in the process, I got pushed into a corner one too many times. I could't take it anymore.

Soooooo you agreed to it....and then didn't....but the notion that you've had a change of heart is a manipulation of the truth. In honor of recent Hall of Fame electee Deion Sanders: Hold On, Playa.

Oh, and this thing about him not returning Ron Washington's phone calls? Cmon, Mike. One sure-fire way to get on the bad side of every baseball fan in Dallas is to do wrong against the hot commodity that is Ronald Washington.

But hey. Michael Young is not, never was, and never in will in this or any alternate universe from now until the end of time be 1/1millionth of what A-Rod is. If he gets traded, there will never be a time when I boo him when he comes to the ballpark. He's still one of my favorite players on the team, and what he wants is to play, and he's getting frustrated and lashing out at those who are trying to stick him in the DH position.

His entire career he's been a team-first guy; having to share a base with A-Rod for 3 seasons, accommodating Alfonso Soriano, accommodating Tiny E... Maybe accommodating Adrian Beltre is just the straw that breaks the camels back.

My prediction? He'll stay a Ranger because no one wants his contract, he'll come to his senses and go to Spring Training, he'll be the DH and utility infielder, he'll bat .300 and hit 20 dingers, and everyone will have forgotten about this in a year's time. If not...it'll be very, very weird seeing him in anything besides Ranger Red.

My last thought: if you're a fan of the Rangers, it doesn't matter if you're Team Rangers or Team Michael Young. It's a sad situation no matter what angle you see it from.

No comments:

Post a Comment